Wednesday 19 October 2011

Firebrands-The Heroines of Science Fiction & Fantasy

Just stumbled on this book in the library by, Ron Miller, and Pamela Sargent. I was quite excited till I opened the book. It is a confusing book to view, as it appears like a male fantasy art book. It is filled with great portraits of fabulous female characters, with interesting information about the stories they are from,. however many of then are half naked or fully naked, with no explanation as to why. And again there are the warriors with armour on one arm or sexy breast plates that would not save them from a fatal wounding. Grr.
I am going to keep reading though because I would like to track down and read some of the stories mentioned.
The first really interesting one I've come across is:
The epic poem "Orlando Furioso" by Luvico Ariosto, written in the 1500s!
One of the characters Bradamant, the daughter of a duke, is also a knight who fights alongside her brothers and cousins.



I've also just discovered a rewritten version of the story of Bradamant here:

No comments:

Post a Comment